- Hits: 1043
History of Trinity Lutheran church in Darmstadt
The history of Trinity Lutheran Church at Darmstadt, IN is one of continuous growth. In the year 1845 a group of Lutherans whose roots went back to Germany, decided to have services for their families. They combined with another congregation and built a small church about 2-3 miles south of the present site at the present location of Oak Ridge Cemetery on Darmstadt Road. That church was destroyed by fire and the congregation split into two groups. One group started Trinity Church in Darmstadt.
Rev. Andrew Saupert came to Darmstadt in 1847 and helped organize the congregation.The first church was a
logstructure built on the south side of Boonville-New Harmony Road where the present church cemetery is located. The church was named, German Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Church. All services were in German. The first resident pastor was the Rev. Philip Weyel who came to Trinity in 1852. In 1853 a school was erected and Pastor Weyel took on the extra duties of teaching school.
Trinity joined the Missouri Synod in 1853. As the congregation grew this small church no longer was adequate for the needs of the congregation. On August 29, 1880 the cornerstone of a new brick church built in Gothic style, was laid across the road from the log church. This brick structure, with its 120 foot spire was a landmark of the county, lifting up the golden Cross higher than anything in the county. Services were first held in German. An English language service was added beginning in 1881. This church served the congregation until 1959 when the present modern structure was built.
On the occasion of the 110th Anniversary of the congregation a Loyalty Dinner was held to inaugurate a Fund Drive for the proposed church. After consulting many builders ground was broken on July 15, 1958. On August 30, 1959 the new church was dedicated. The history of Trinity Church would not be complete without reference to one of its greatest assets, the Christian Day School. Begun in 1853 by Pastor Weyel, many pastors and teachers have served our school. In 1903 a frame school was built. This building soon proved to be inadequate for the growing congregation. In 1942 the present school with modern classrooms and a gymnasium was built. Through the years two additions were added. Then in 2010 due to increased costs and a decline in enrollment, the congregation felt it was necessary to close the school.
Other Pastors to service Trinity Lutheran Darmstadt:
Rev. F. W. Brueggeman 1869-1883
Rev. J. G. Hoefner 1883-1890
Rev. O. L. Zimmermann 1890-1912
Rev. J. C. Ambacher 1913-1922
Rev. Herman Traub 1922-1926
Rev. G. E. Pranschke 1926-1936
Rev. H. J. Meyer 1936-1949
Rev. Rev. A. Kluge 1949-1955
Rev. Omar F. J. Rau 1955-1974
Rev. Robert Hagemann 1974-1976
Rev. Loren Boettcher 1976-1987
Rev. John Heusmann 1988-1992
Rev . Martin Keller 1994-2009
Rev. Robert Reinhardt, Intentional Interim 2009-2011
Rev. Stephen Kieser 2011-Present